So, I hear you own your own business. Awesome!
Do you still have that same fiery passion you started out with on day one?
What’s your WHY?
(This is more than just what you do. It is the reason you do it. Why do you do what you do?)
Your WHY evolves into your mission statement.
Knowing what fuels your business and the purpose that drives your work is key.
Getting back to these roots and focusing on what you love about your business can be the difference between a mundane day at the office and a rewarding one.
What aspects of your business do you LOVE? And what do you loathe? It’s not rocket science here, but a simple solution is to eliminate the things you loathe (either delegate that to a staff member, outsource it OR stop doing it period). Focus on doing more of what you love!
It’s evident when someone loves their job and the work they do. You can feel the passion and energy oozing from them. They are full of life, there’s a huge, genuine smile across their face and you even see that sparkle in their eyes. (They’ve nailed it- living authentically, with purpose and passion!)
Pssst…. It’s those kind of people that everyone wants to jump on board to do business with! Their energy is so powerful it’s contagious. It’s beyond inspiring to see someone in his or her element.
When you do things from your soul,
People really dig that shit.
[Yeah, you’re going to want to read that a second time.]
You may be thinking- Shoot that used to me. How do I get that back?
A few things to consider right away-
- What does your office look like? (Is it aesthetically pleasing while being functional for your business? Is your brand present? Are you excited to go to work here?)
- If your brand is MIA, call IMD- we can help with that!
- If you aren’t excited to go to your office, then fix it! Paint one wall an inspiring color, post inspiring quotes or artwork, revive your desk with fresh flowers, buy new office furniture (if it’s in the budget, of course!), frame some pictures of you & your favorite people and put them up in a place that’s sure to cheer you up.
- Describe your work culture. (Is this in alignment with your business and what you want to represent? Are your employees happy?)
- Are there any traditions at work? (Casual Mondays, Throwback Thursdays on your social media outlets, Twerk it Radio Fridays [yes, this is a REAL thing!], bagels on presentation days…. You get the picture.)
- Personal Development- Are you investing in yourself? Are you carving out time daily (15-20 minutes to read or listen to a motivational speaker or podcast, watch an inspiring video, meditate, practice yoga, etc.,)? Are you still finding time for your hobbies or activities that bring you joy (outside of the office)? What brings you joy?
Running your business should be fun! Yes, it’s work- but who said it had to feel like it? So play Twerk It Radio on Fridays (like we do!), do a 5-minute icebreaker at lunch with co-workers, wear Pink on Wednesdays or do Cartwheels if your little heart desires. Whatever you need to do, do it! (PS There’s a reason Nike’s slogan has kicked it since 1988.)
When you create a work environment that nurtures your business, it shows- in leaps and bounds. How amazing is it to go into work and love the space you’re in?
Your brand, office, employees and even your clients should all reflect what you love.
The question is: Are they? Do they support the big picture your business is trying to represent?